Move WordPress Site (same hosting different domain)

As I’ve recently done this myself and it wasn’t as straight forward as wordpress say it is here are a few things which may be of use to someone.

I’m assuming that:

  • You want to move your wordpress site ‘olddomain.com’ to ‘newdomain.com’
  • Both  ‘olddomain.com’ and ‘newdomain.com’ are hosted together.
  • That the ‘newdomain.com’ can access the database that ‘olddomain.com’ was using.

Step 1

Backup your site (Database and files)

Step 2

Copy all your files from your ‘olddomain.com’ directory to your ‘newdomain.com’ directory

Step 3

Go to your settings->general section of your new wordpress site e.g ‘newdomain.com/wp-admin/options-general.php’

Update both the fields for ‘WordPress Address’ and ‘Site Address’ to be ‘http://newdomain.com’

Step 4

By now your site will almost be working but some images and other media will not be working.

We need to change values in the database to stop them pointing to ‘olddomain.com’ for images as once you delete your old site files they will obvisouly not be accessible. You can do this manually or use this plugin I found that works well.

Go to your Plugins section and install the plugin: ‘Search & Replace’ the summary is: “A simple search to find strings in your database and replace those strings.”

Now go to tools and select ‘Search & Replace’ and select ‘Search and replace’ and enter your old domain in the ‘search for’ and your new domain in the ‘replace with’:searchAndReplacePlugin

Click go and you should be done.

Hope that  helped someone out there!

relocation truncated Arduino Bug

I’ve been using the Arduino Mega 2560 recently for my robotics project and after getting a fair way through some code I found that I started to receive this error:

relocation truncated to fit: R_AVR_13_PCREL

It turns out there is a bug in the arduino IDE or at least the compiler it uses. The solution was to Download the Beta Arduino IDE which has the bug fixed in it.

That fixed it for me. Happy tinkering.

 

For anyone that is interested: I think that the bug was due to a compiler flag or config error which disabled the option for the compiler to use long jumps. So as your code grows you gradually fill more memory and the device cannot use its short (more efficient) jump instructions to move around memory as you have now used more than 4kB which I believe is the limit of the short jump instruction on those chips.

.Net for Linux and Mac OSX

This may be old news (about a month old) but I had not heard about it until a friend pointed it out to me.

It looks like Microsoft will, after some mentions of it in early 2014, be ‘open source-ing’ .Net and making official builds of the runtime for Linux and OSX. In my opinion this is great news. .Net (C# in particular) has been by far the most productive language I have ever used; .Net has an abundance of officially supported libraries that make your coding life so much better.

Hopefully the guys over at Mono will be hired to oversee the porting of the official builds as they’ve done a great job so far of creating unofficial ports to other OSs.

It will be a while before we see anything materialise but at least Microsoft have now publicly announced it.

source: .Net for Linux and Mac OSX