Control a satellite rotator automatically from Orbitron by sending it the azimuth via serial.
A couple of years ago I wrote some code with a library I found to listen to Orbitron using it’s DDE inter-process comms and send the satellite information string over serial to potentially drive an aerial rotator.
I’ve since updated the code and thought I would share it here.
- Firstly install Orbitron.
- Download dde-orbitron-serial-feb-2018 (tested on Win10) unzip it somewhere sensible.
- Open the install directory of Orbitron and find Setup.cfg (example path below)
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Orbitron\Config\Setup.cfg
- Add a similar line as below to Setup.cfg: (obviously changing paths to where you unzipped things)
- Don’t directly run the exe, you have to launch it from Orbtron itself by going to the rotor/radio tab, selecting the correct DDE driver, in this case it’s DDEOrbitronToSerial. Then click the button to the right of the dropdown to start sending data and launch the application:
- The DDEOrbitronToSerial application should now launch and you will be able to select your COM port and output the satellite data to the serial port.
- NB: You can edit additional options such as com port baud rate in the config file by clicking the open config button.
Any bug reports or feature requests are welcome!